Who can come?

Only members of the nuclear family can come. These are spouses and minor children.

If the person in Austria is still a minor, he/she can bring the parents and minor siblings.


Married couples must have been married before having become refugees.

In case of multiple marriages only one wife/husband can be brought.


Children have to be minors at the moment of application for family reunification at the embassy. If they become adults during the procedure, they can come nevertheless. Children have to be unmarried in order to come.


The immigrating parents can bring their own minor children (siblings of the referring person in Austria). If parents died or there is no contact with them any more, it is not possible to bring the siblings.


Other members (minor children, parents of minor children, grandparents, aunts, cousins etc.) cannot come to Austria by family reunification.